Wednesday 9 June 2010

iPhone

At first I thought: what's so magnificent about it? Why are people so crazy over this little gadget? Then as more and more people around me own it, holding it in their hand, I condemned it as a 'commodity at a premium price'.

After the introduction of the iPhone 4, I thought: remarkably yes - it has got quality, form and functionality, design and most importantly, it's not a phone but iPhone. Apple does not invent a phone just so to sell a phone; it makes sure industry partners follow the trend as well. For instance, if it's not with the wide range of useful applications, many would probably not want to buy simply because it would be so much useless. Sometimes reinventing the wheels do works; it also think out of the box! Wonder how often do you use your video calling capability? None? I'm guilty of that too, even after owning more than 3 dual-camera 3G phones. Apple's FaceTime is set to create another wave from older technologies. Kudos! Although its competitors such as Samsung, Nokia, SE and Motorola have had a fair share in market leadership (i.e. Front camera, Bluetooth, and touch screen), it is quite shameful that this new comer is now leading the market with technologies they have adopted years ago. Imagine me selling buns topped with pork floss today and still create a huge public excitement that BreadTalk has enjoyed ten years ago? Or can I work out to sell a Cheesecake with not at all a dairy product as ingredient? Apple is simply smart.

Now, still I think the iPhone is a brilliantly amazing phone. But one thing I'm quite certain is that I no longer think the pricing is too 'out of the way'. If my ability permits I will pay good money for good stuff. I have previously decided to buy its contender Andriod phones, but perhaps it is now a good time to give this elite a try.

I am a late adopter, or even a laggard for that matter, nothing's to be ashamed over it. I shall adopt technologies after the majority has tried and tested, and give the Andriod some time to improve before I finally give it a try. But who knows, I might just stick to Apple OS indefinitely.

Microsoft's Windows Phone, which I'm currently using on my Samsung i780 smartphone, is way out of the way and will be, if they continue to apparently sit idle.


No comments: