Wednesday 4 August 2010

Thickened Skin

It started out as a mere toothache. Then infection with fever. Swollen face came right next. As a result, it is something not as simple anymore.

I went to the dentist this morning and she was shocked to see pus in the gum, which she suspected there is more up in the sinus region. Gotcha, when she tried to drain it. The whole process went through with pain and shiver. The moment the anesthetic jab touched the infected gum, chill went all the way down to my feet and up, which I couldn't help but to howl in agony.

"Sorry.....", she exclaimed. "Yes, i know it's painful. But we've got to drain out the pus, which otherwise would move up to your eyes and ultimately the brain. It's a serious condition."

I couldn't at all speak a word, and I wanted to tell her 'please go ahead'.

In total, there were about 6 jabs, with the subsequent attempts after the third got less painful.

Once done, she pried open a section of the thinned skin and according to her, the pus flowed right out. Like a river.

I had mixed feeling then: good as in finally the substance that caused my face to swell were getting out; bad because I was disgusted by the fact that the large amount of pus was entering my mouth. Pretty yacks. Her assistant gave me a mirror and my specs, omg, I couldn't help but to grin further. Blood and pus, a mixture of mayonnaise and chilli sauce. When the flow almost stopped, she applied some pressure on the affected face, more came out.

She referred me to the Alexandra hospital for follow-up, which I'll be going tomorrow. And I'm fully aware that the experience I got this morning was just the beginning; more treatment will come because the swollen face has yet to deflate.

Looks like I'm going to miss the NDP actual parade. But I'm so gonna perform as it would render the past 10 weeks of rehearsals useless should I miss the actual one. Someone please save me!!!

For now, I'll just stick to wearing a big shades while I'm out of house.

No comments: